Re: Oracle on AIX/Power5 LPARs

From: Rodrick Brown <rodrick.brown_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:04:12 GMT

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1130082226.891780_at_yasure...
> Glenn S wrote:
>> We're looking at migrating our Oracle environment to new servers
>> and I'm intrigued by the prospect of using IBM Power5 hardware (P550)
>> running AIX with our Oracle application server and database server
>> installations running in AIX logical partitions (LPARs) on the same
>> server. We'd have four or five LPARs with two database installations and
>> two application server installations. If you are doing this, can you
>> clone an LPAR to create a second copy of an Oracle database for
>> testing purposes?
>>
>> Any information greatly appreciated.
>>
>> --Glenn
>
> Makes sense to go to IBM P5 chips. But why pay two to three times
> as much for them (from IBM) when you can get the same chips from
> Apple for a fraction of the price?
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> http://www.psoug.org
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

They are not the same chips, ie AIX wont run on apple's ppc even though the architecture is similar, because of firmware/openboot differences no AIX will be running there any time soon, also Apple's chips are not engineered like the high end Pseris Power5 architecture, you are make huge assumtions here yes IBM's hardware is very expensive but its not an "apple to apple" :) comparision, RAS and enterprise features found on IBM Pseris hardware.

--
Rodrick R. Brown
Unix Systems Admin

When in 1986 Apple bought a Cray X-MP and announced that they would use it
to design the next Apple Macintosh, Seymour Cray replied, "This is very
interesting because I am using an Apple Macintosh to design the Cray-2
supercomputer."