Re: Oracle shadow process parent id of 1

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 21:26:05 GMT

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 12:24:00 -0700, dbaplusplus wrote:

> Genrally, parent id is the pid of UNIX process who made connection to
> database.
> That is if I did
> sqlplus /nolog
> conn scott/tigger
>
> my process say is 1000,
> then Oracle will start a shadow process say process id of 1001. ps -aef
> will
> show parent id of process 1001 as 1000 and not 1.
>
> Somehow, in Oracle 10.1.0.4 on my HP unix machine, parent process id is
> 1
> for all oracle shadow processes.

NAME
      setsid, setpgrp - create session and set process group ID

 SYNOPSIS
      #include <unistd.h>

      pid_t setsid(void);

      pid_t setpgrp(void);

 DESCRIPTION

      If the calling process is not a process group leader, setsid() or
      setprgp() creates a new session.  The calling process becomes the
      session leader of this new session, becomes the process group leader
      of a new process group, and has no controlling terminal.  The process
      group ID of the calling process is set equal to the process ID of the
      calling process.  The calling process is the only process in the new
      process group, and the only process in the new session.

      setprgp() is provided for backward compatibility only.

 RETURN VALUE
      setprgp() returns the value of the process group ID of the calling
      process.

      Upon successful completion, setsid() returns the value of the new
      process group ID of the calling process.  Otherwise, a value of -1 is
      returned, and errno is set to indicate the error.

 ERRORS
      No change occurs if any of the following conditions are encountered.
      In addition, setsid() fails when any of the following conditions
      occur:

           [EPERM]        The calling process is already a process group
                          leader.

           [EPERM]        The process group ID of a process other than the
                          calling process matches the process ID of the
                          calling process.

 AUTHOR
      setprgp() and setsid() were developed by HP and AT&T.

 SEE ALSO
      exec(2), exit(2), fork(2), getpid(2), kill(2), setpgid(2), signal(2),
      termio(7).

 STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
      setsid(): AES, XPG3, XPG4, FIPS 151-2, POSIX.1

 Hewlett-Packard Company            - 1 -     HP-UX Release 9.0: August 19

--
http://www.mgogala.com