Re: Do I have to install Oracle Client for every machine?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 22 Oct 2005 05:04:48 -0700

Jim Kennedy wrote:
> "Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> > Connor McDonald wrote:
> > >
> > > I would imagine you'd still need sqlnet, and hence at least some parts
> > > of oracle client
> >
> > Not anymore than you need it with jdbc: same principle, same
> > type of connection.
> >
> Only if you use the JDBC thin client. ODBC doesn't have a thin client. (old
> technology)

Strange. I'm quite sure last year I got a non-Oracle client system running with Exel and Word accessing Oracle via the inbuilt data access mechanism. No Oracle client anywhere on that box that I could see. Don't have access to it now, darn: would love to find out what was there. Received on Sat Oct 22 2005 - 07:04:48 CDT