Re: How to create the seed database under linux with 10g?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 19:28:21 +0800

googleboy wrote:

> hi.
>
> I have just successfully installed Oracle for the first time, but
> didn't realise that I needed a database to begin, so chose the software
> only option.
>
> I would like to know what there is to creating a seed database.
>
> I am running this on RHES3.0 (Update 6, if that matters) without any X.
>
> I have created a response file for dbca, but it didn't work because I
> hadn't create a "General Purpose" template.
>
> This was the default entry in the sample dbca response file, so I was
> just guessing it would work. What templates are preinstalled? Or how
> can I create a "General Purpose" template file.
>
> After doing a bit of reading I am wondering if the seed database needs
> to be exactly as it would have been had I created it via the install
> process. If so, what settings will I need to tell my response file to
> use?
>
> Finally, will this install process halt on the first error it finds,
> or will it report them all? In other words, am I likely to fix this
> and then find I have done something else that is a little wrong?
>
> TIA
>
> googleboy

run dbca (you'll need an X session) and follow your nosse.

A good way to pick things up is to ask the dbca to create scripts for creating the database, and then check them out to see how it all hangs together.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat."