Re: How to determine database market share?

From: IANAL_VISTA <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:15:17 GMT

Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com> wrote in

> Hi all,
>

> I have been having a debate recently on another forum about database
> market penetration and how to measure it.
>

> My point of view would be that even for companies which *_only_*
> produce databases (Oracle until recently, MySQL, say now), it is
> impossible from their financial filings to determine how many
>
> a) paid for installs there are
>
> and
>
> b) if an install is paid for, how much was paid (VAR, Corporate
> resellers, OEM agreements, <insert contractual agreement of your
> choice>).
>

> The thrust of my argument has been that, in the absence of any other
> reliable metrics, an analysis of job adverts in a particular market
> (say country) is *_AS GOOD A WAY AS ANY_* to determine market
> penetration (if no absolute revenue or number of (paid for) installs
> is available - normally the case - and even then, they are potentially
> misleading).

Paul,

I've read this whole thread & found it entertaining, but then again I am easily amused.

OK, I'll stipulate that job ads are a reasonable psuedo indicator for "market penetration".

So what are you going to actually do with this new found "knowledge"?

I for one do not make my career choice based upon "market penetration" of any product in the market place.

Basing any choice on "market penetration" seems as useful trying to tune an Oracle database based upon Buffer Cache Hit Ratio.

You seem emotionally attached to this issue for no good reason.

HAND! Received on Fri Oct 21 2005 - 19:15:17 CDT