Re: How to determine database market share?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:47:16 GMT

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 05:24:04 +0100, Paul interested us by writing:

> So, guys, I'm basically asking - what is the best metric to use for
> establishing (even a rough) an idea of db penetration in a given
> market. Personally I can't see a better one than job-ads, but am more
> than willing to listen to other ideas/concepts that people might have.

Please realize that Market Share is a political device - that is to say a device created to manipulate 'office politics'. Or, if you wish to be 'politically correct', Market Share is a risk avoidance tool.

The purpose of Market Share is to give warm and fuzzy feelings of happiness by ensuring that the potential purchasers (or victims) are secure in the knowledge that they are not placing themselves or their organization at risk by making that purchase.

It is derived though the use of statistics for that sole purpose. Therefore the baseline, source and derivation for the statistics MUST CHANGE to ensure that the results extracted from the statistics conform to the achieving that purpose.

In other words, there is no standard and the definition and derivation will vary depending on who is performing the analysis. (A long time ago someone told me "If you want to understand why and how a person behaves, ask how they are compensated.")

You are therefore RIGHT is assuming any market share definition you wish - you simply have to put your assumptions into fine print (which may not exist on the same page or even in writing) only to be produced on demand.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com