Re: How to determine database market share?

From: <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Oct 2005 12:50:17 -0700

Paul wrote:
> I have been having a debate recently on another forum about database
> market penetration and how to measure it.
> So, guys, I'm basically asking - what is the best metric to use for
> establishing (even a rough) an idea of db penetration in a given
> market. Personally I can't see a better one than job-ads, but am more
> than willing to listen to other ideas/concepts that people might have.

My perspective is how often an interesting SQL puzzle comes up on various db forums. That is rougly proportional to how relevant a particular database vendor is. Here is my observation:

comp.databases.oracle.server - never!
comp.databases.oracle.misc - once a month asktom - once a week
OTN - bi weekly

microsoft.pu...gramming - twice a week or even more frequently any other forums?

comp.databases.ibm-db2 - once a month?
any other forums?

BTW, it's a great inconvenience to visit zillions of forums, and it seems that we have more forums every day. Received on Fri Oct 21 2005 - 14:50:17 CDT