Re: Do I have to install Oracle Client for every machine?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:01:59 +0800

Noons wrote:

> joe bayer (nospam) wrote:
> > Our client needs to link their Access to one of my tables in Oracle (Oracle
> > 9206 on Linux). Do I have to install Oracle Client on each of those 100
> > desktops?
> >

> Not 100% sure about this, it's been a while since I last played
> in M$ land. But I seem to recall that if you use the M$-supplied
> odbc-oracle driver, then it's just a matter of configuring it
> and firing away from Access using the odbc connection name.
>
> Not very functional, not very fast, but dirt easy and no need
> for Oracle incantations in a pure M$ environment.

I would imagine you'd still need sqlnet, and hence at least some parts of oracle client

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat."