Re: Supporting multiple oracle versions in a trigger

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:30:48 GMT

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 04:58:07 +0000, Jack Addington interested us by writing:

> Where do you see the major scalability issues? In terms of data collection
> I have what seems to be to be a basic and flexible design with 5 large
> partionable tables to store my data and then 2 header tables to link the
> data together and back to all the collection paramaters (user, date,
> purpose, project, etc).
>
> I could see that creating/dropping tables on the fly with dynamic ddl might
> be an issue with people accessing the data in a transactional manner but
> that is not the case. The process to modify the data collection is a
> separate administrative business fuction that is the exception to daily
> work.

WHen you get the book, read the chapter on locks and latches. Then you will see exactly where the scalability problem will occur. Until then I will not be able to explain it properly.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com