Re: Supporting multiple oracle versions in a trigger

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 03:45:44 GMT

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:20:37 +0000, Jack Addington interested us by writing:

> Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Yes, I have thoughts. Four specific ones at that:

  1. Based on the questions you have been asking in this forum over the past few weeks, I strongly encourage you to get Thomas Kyte's book as found at http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10008 and read at least the first 3 chapters. That book will provide you with the information you need for development, as well as tuning tips and performance measurement techniques.

This is, in my opinion, the smallest investment you can make to have the possibility of success with your project.

2) You remind me of me about 20 years ago. I 'blew away' some fellow contractors with my dynamic data driven system in SQL/DS.

After the third set of patches, that were basically about twice as large as the original system, I came to realize that small, dedicated, maintainable systems were the real requirement. Flexibility was just tickling my ego.

3) I just about laugh out loud from the memory each time I see typical [usually Java] developers who make the same mistake. It usually takes them about 14 months to come around.

4) In any case, your solution is not going to be very scalable. And your documentation requirements, even to support yourself, will ultimately be larger than the program itself.

... well, you DID ask. I am trying to be as honest and as non-critical as possible.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com