Re: Do I have to install Oracle Client for every machine?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 02:28:39 GMT

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:50:03 -0400, Robert interested us by writing:

> what exactly is the difference between the full client and Instant Client ?

Sad that you can not be bothered to follow the link to get the answer for yourself. Since clicking and reading is too difficult, here is a summary of the answer:

The full client is a complete install of the client s/w and all supporting files into an Oracle home, together with appropriate registry entries, inventory, and other wonderfulness.

Instant client is the minimum software - lay it down on disk and include it in the path. Bingo, it's up and running. No 'install', no muss, no fuss, no bother.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com

Remember toilet training the kids, when we had to 'push' with them to get
them started.   Apparently they couldn't get that done on their own.