Re: Remove archive log files in a production system

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 20 Oct 2005 15:19:19 -0700

  1. You should use RMAN.
  2. If you use RMAN and use the OS to delete archived logs, you need to tell RMAN about it.
  3. You only need the archives that have been generated since your last _good_ full backup.
  4. You need to analyse what your restoration requirements are. When you are testing your backup/recovery strategy, you may discover you can restore faster if you have some redundancy in the old archived logs. Personally, I like to keep several backup cycles worth of archived logs and backups on disk if there is space. I've seen "last nights" backup go bad, for the same reason that "today's" data needs to be recovered...
  5. Test some more, there were bugs.
  6. Upgrade.

jg

--