Re: Basic SQL Question, re. logging costly sql

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:59:59 GMT

On 19 Oct 2005 16:01:07 -0700, "BD" <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>>Getting statspack up and running only takes 5 minutes.
>>Your decision to put it at the bottom of a list is very questionable.
>
>Most things take 5 minutes if you've done them several times. Look at
>how long I've been mucking with RMAN, trying to get it going for the
>first time! And NOW, I have to work out the differences in 10g's RMAN.
>Ahh, the fun never stops. ;)

setting up statspack involves

  1. running $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/spcreate (from sqlplus)
  2. either setting up a job to run statspack.snap(i_snap_level=>5) OR run it manually before the start and end of the period you want to collect your sql data
  3. running $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/spcreate (from sqlplus) to get a report.

You'll spend much more time figuring out how to get your inefficient script to work, which will return much less performance-related data than statspack will
We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 and 9.2.0.6/7 on Solaris 2.7 and RH4 remove NSPAM to email Received on Thu Oct 20 2005 - 12:59:59 CDT