Re: creating temp file on the server

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 08:30:27 -0700

tal fts wrote:
> Hi
>
> i need to create a temporary file on the server (an xml file)
> send it by email using smtp (which i know how)
> and than delete the temp file
>
> i know there is the UTL_FILE_DIR, but i dont know what's inside of it.
>
> i read i can use the creat or replace directory option
> but the problem is that only sys or admin can run it
> and i need to do it from my procedure as other user,
> also i dont know why i get pls-00103 on this line
>
> so i guess i cant write the create.... in a procedure...?????!!!!!!!
>
> any help/other option
>
> 10x

Sorry to say little you wrote makes sense.

UTL_FILE_DIR is a pointer to a location on the hard disk. What is or is not there is irrelevent. You need to get back to basics:

  1. What edition and version of Oracle?
  2. Running on what platform and operating system?

If you have 9i you are not sending any attachments except with an operating system ability such as send mail. If 10g you need to look at the documentation for UTL_MAIL to send it and the documentation for DBMS_LOB to get it into the database so you can send it.

In neither case would the UTL_FILE package be of much value.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org