Re: Supporting multiple oracle versions in a trigger

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:38:55 GMT

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:54:57 +0000, Jack Addington interested us by writing:

> I have a storedproc that drops/creates tables using dynamic sql.

This statement is worth investigating. In general, creating and dropping Oracle stables 'on the fly' is not a good idea. There are many, many reasons - but the biggest two are

Create, Drop and Alter automatically commit (and are therefore not normally permitted in table triggers), causing severe hiccups in the definition of transaction

Create, Drop and Alter do funny things to the dictionary that are inherently anti-scalable. Doing so severly limits the number of concurrent users

Pretty please - explain WHY you do this. While there are valid reasons, they are few and far between.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com