Re: Compressed tables

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 19 Oct 2005 11:52:39 -0700

Agree with what you said except:

>(Small changes in purpose are unlikely to make a design
> strategy change from being appropriate to being a disaster).

It's not so unlikely. Many months ago I made a change in a test system - they want rounding to be two places instead of three, to match customers systems. This blew up into a huge brouhaha, when it was discovered my changes (which, due to some decent design work years ago, were very simple) did not agree with some improperly programmed excel sheets, and who knows what the customers do. So I unapplied the changes, and am now being asked to apply them again.

Maybe I just attract these kinds of problems because they are the sort of thing I work on, but I don't think my view is that skewed, it seems to me "_small_ changes in purpose" are more rare than one might expect.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://images.art.com/images/-/Arthur-Rackham/Pandoras-Box--C10100758.jpeg