Re: How to query a string in Hex or byte format

From: <vwu_at_anacomp.com>
Date: 19 Oct 2005 00:32:29 -0700

vwu_at_anacomp.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I suspect the string I query is different than what it was actually
> stored in the database table since the NLS setting are different
> between the database server and the code page used for the display on
> the client machine, so how can I query a string such as a person's name
> in Hex or byte format.
>
> Thank You
> Vance

The NLS setting for the Sun OS on my Oracle client machine is en US.ISO8859-1, my Oracle8i and Oracle9i database character sets are both set to UTF-8, when I insert string "COFIÑO" into the 8i & 9i databases via my Oracle client machine, on the Oracle8i I believe it automatically converted to "COFIQO", and on the Oracle9i it converted to "COFI¿O", the string data type is VARCHAR2.

Can someone tell me why and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Vance Received on Wed Oct 19 2005 - 02:32:29 CDT