Re: Oracle Innobase Purchase Impacts MySQL.

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Oct 2005 14:29:14 -0700

Paul said:

>Being unable to do 250 doesn't mean that the car is running poorly.

No, but anyone who's had to deal with an old bug should probably have lol'd at my comment.

>How does one select the count of the undocumented ones?

quick Google gives
http://www.dbaclick.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=323&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0 but if you've been paying attention, you'd know it's not generally a good idea to muck with them. But you can if you have to, which is more than not having them could say.

>Take away their ankles!

No heel-and-toe for them! :-) Of course, when those evil-handling swing-arms make the Bug crash, you might not have any legs.

A long time ago I might have agreed with the idea that a database is just a database, but no more. If you have to do things differently due to scale, you have artificially created a lot more work to do. If you try to write to database independence, you wind up with the lowest common denominator. Most businesses of medium size or greater are bound to have mission-critical and/or enterprise systems and are likely going to have to scale up at least for one of those. And small businesses? They can have the to... err, economy models, it will be moot when the bigger fish eat them.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/gt2/gt2_20040503_002.jpg