Re: how-to install Oracle 10g on RHES3 with no X-windows

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 17:31:07 GMT

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 04:55:17 -0700, googleboy interested us by writing:

> Hi.
>
> I have an RHES system without X that I would like to install Oracle 10g
> on. I have read the install guide and looked at the 'silent' isntall
> doco. The 10g guide seems to omit the sample response file, and also
> talks as though the system has X, but the reason for the silent install
> is for installations across multiple systems.
>
> I would appreciate pointers to documentation on installing and using
> oracle sans gui, and also any war stories that you may feel would help
> me in my venture.

10g does not require X. 9i DOES require X.

In either case, if I want a headless system, I set the DISPLAY variable on the headless system to point to an active X display server (a system with an X screen) in my network and set the xhost for that server to display for the headless system.

An X server can be achieved by any other Linux/Unix box that provides a 'desktop', orf any Windows box running Hummingbird Xceed or the open source freeware counterpart from http://www.cynwin.com

Personally I use silent install as infrequently as possible, in part because I do not understand why anyone would want to install any Oracle stuff unsupervised. Except for classroom environments ...

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com