Re: session cursor cache

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 18 Oct 2005 03:23:18 -0700

Brian wrote:

> Is there any way to see what's in the session cursor cache for all
> sessions?

OracleŽ Database Reference. (on-line copies at http://tahiti.oracle.com).

Too mention just a few:
V$OPEN_CURSOR = lists cursors that each user session currently has opened and parsed.
V$SESSION_CURSOR_CACHE = displays information on cursor usage for the current session
V$SQL_CURSOR = displays debugging information for each cursor associated with the session querying this view V$SQLTEXT = contains the text of SQL statements belonging to shared SQL cursors in the SGA.

> How do you know when to raise or lower session_cached_cursors?

OracleŽ Database Performance Tuning Guide. Section 7.3.7 Caching Session Cursors

> I've been watching the Cursor Cache Hit (%) and just kept raising
> session_cached_cursors till the hit % stayed below zero.

Why? Just mucking about or addressing a real performance issue?

I have a problem with so-called performance tuning that is based on twidling knobs to see what seems to provide a "better" performance. But then I also have issues with PL/SQL developers not writing proper code, religious fanatics, politicians, Australian rugby referees and the twit called Robert Mugabe... to mention just a couple. So call me anal and I will call you an ignorant knob turner. Okay? :-)

--
Billy