Re: versioning

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 18 Oct 2005 03:02:42 -0700

Geoff Muldoon wrote:

> Depending on the size of this enterprise, if the entire database is to be
> time-series versioned with this type of history, then consider using a
> star schema dimensional data warehouse model. Huge difference in initial
> database design concepts, including extensive denormalization.

Star schema designs suck. IMO and experience. Perhaps because I have never seen one that works properly in practise on all the warehouse databases I've dba'ed for the last 10+ years?

So before going down on the star schema path (as with the relational path), one needs to have a proper gun with real bullets. Not a water pistol loaded with colour-friendly water. I.e. know what you do or else you will muck it up.

--
Billy