Re: versioning

From: Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muldoon_at_trap.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:58:02 +1000

christian.hofmann_at_gmx.de says...
> Hello Billy,
>
> "Billy" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in
> > Christian Hofmann wrote:
> >
> >> What I am looking for is a kind of versioning that offers me to look back
> >> into the past. What was the data before some updates or a delete happens.
> >
> > History can be kept in a seperate table with datetime stamped rows. The
> > history can be maintained using triggers on the source table.
> >

> That is a great idea. Thank you very much. I will start with the database
> design first :-)

Depending on the size of this enterprise, if the entire database is to be time-series versioned with this type of history, then consider using a star schema dimensional data warehouse model. Huge difference in initial database design concepts, including extensive denormalization. Among suggested reading is chapter 1 of Bert Scalzo's Oracle DBA Guide to Data Warehousing and Star Schemas.

Geoff M Received on Mon Oct 17 2005 - 17:58:02 CDT