Re: Oracle Innobase Purchase Impacts MySQL.

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:47:17 -0400

Joel Garry wrote:

>>Patents for MVCC? That would indeed suprise me.

> Go to www.uspto.gov, search patents for "multi version concurrency
> control".
>
> Note that search is not exhaustive - if there are military apps,
> patents might be secret, and some might simply not be in the system.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent#Term_of_patent

Software Patents need to be submitted in the US within one year after the product is publically available. Give it 3 years to get a patent issues (which is on the conservative side). So when was Oracle 4 shipped? Any patent issued, say 4 years or later will be only be valid w.r.t. algorithms introduced at the time or later (i.e. improvements). So, without having read through the patents in detail, the first MVCC patent I saw was from 1995, so anything MVCC available in Oracle 1991 (there is likely a way to get the submission date) would pretty much be up for grabs for these technical reasons. Patents do not get granted in retrospect. You can't today patent that idea you blurted out 2 years ago at the x-mas party when you were drunk.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau