Re: Compressed tables

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:25:04 +0000 (UTC)

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1128879531.172572_at_yasure...

> <RANT>
>
> How many times can a row be inserted? Once!
> How many times can a row be deleted? Once!
> How many times is a row, realistically, updated? Once? Twice?
> How many times is a row queried? Over and over and over again!
>
> Optimize for the report writers. Optimize for the people that are
> hitting the same row over and over again for today's totals, the
> week's totals, the month's totals, this quarter vs. last quarter,
> this year vs. last year.
>
> </RANT>

I think this is too important a point to be surrounded by <RANT></RANT> delimiters, as they make it sound like a tub-thumping opinion rather than part of a necessary rational design approach.

I agree whole-heartedly with the sentiment - and it applies across the board.

    How much resource does operation X take ?

        How many times do I do it
    How much resource does operation Y take ?

        How many times do I do it
Which one can take an extra overhead, which one can gain from the use of a feature. What's the correct trade.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals
Now available to pre-order.

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/appearances.html
Public Appearances - schedule updated 4th Sept 2005