versioning

From: Christian Hofmann <christian.hofmann_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:24:10 +0200

Hello,

I want to make all actions in the database comprehensible.

When did a dataset change and which user was responsible (website users, no oracle users).

So I have every table twice and I am using a list-like data structure. For example:

table customer:

customer_number

user_id

--

table customer_data:

customer_data_number

changing_date

next_customer_data_number

customer_number

name

user_id

So when, for example, the name will be updated, I will not use update.

There are the following steps:

Insert a new row in customer_data with the new name and the user_id who made
this change

Update the old customer_data and set next_customer_data_number to the number
from the insert.

So I can always jump back and see who made the edit.

And now my question:

Oracle provides flashback, this would be nice. But there are only 5 Days I
can look back.

Is there an other technology to solve this problem?

Thank you,

Christian