Re: Tale of woe - failed patch install and attempted recovery

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 16 Oct 2005 05:13:23 -0700

# Matthias Hoys wrote:

#>> Space from /tmp is used during an install ... no doubt about that.
#>>
#> > What is the meaning of /tmp? Temporary right ... is it something
that
#> > will persist around between different oui sessions?
#> >
#>
#> I don't think so, but I have noticed that the OUI doesn't always
clean
#> things up after an installation, and this can lead to installation
problems
#> with /tmp running full. I always check /tmp with "ls -lat|head"
after an
#> installation.

Yes Matthias checking to see if you have enough space in /tmp before you begin any oracle maintenance is definitely required. This is one of the steps noted by oracle in the installation procedures and readme's.

(Sometimes oracle may forget to note how much space in /tmp is required but it seems like this is a standard item that they don't forget to include often).

Joel seemed to be hinting that one needed to backup stuff in /tmp. I don't agree with that idea or if Joel wasn't talking about that I don't understand what he was trying to convey. Received on Sun Oct 16 2005 - 07:13:23 CDT