Re: Help: A difficult requests

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 14 Oct 2005 21:41:04 -0700

Comments embedded.
joe bayer (nospam) wrote:
> renaming original table is not acceptable, because it will break some other
> functions.
> If I do this:
> In schema A, I have a table A,
>
> In schema B, I did
>
> Create view A as select * from A.A;

All is well thus far.

> Then I create public synonym A form B.A.

Nothing wrong here.

> Now back to schema A, if I select * from A, will Oracle choose table A, or
> synonym A? How can we control it?

Oracle will choose the table A owns, not the synonym for the view B owns as this view is based upon the table A created. Had Oracle chosen to describe the view whilst connected as user A, instead of the table, it would create a circular reference which could not be resolved. Thus, only the table is considered.

> Another question, did anybody have any experience with Oracle Transparent
> Encryption in 10G2? Will that be my saver?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> >consider renaming the original table and implementing a view, using the
> >original table name, and you have exactly what you want. No
> >query_rewrite necessary (and I don't think query_rewrite applies, as
> >this was one of the reasons to implement views).
> >If the vendor acts like most vendors do, he won't support your firm
> >anymore after you have implemented this.
> >I'm not sure why people can't think of the need to store creditcard
> >numbers encrypted beforehand, and buy a sw package in which this is not
> >possible.
> --
> >Sybrand Bakker
> >Senior Oracle DBA

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Oct 14 2005 - 23:41:04 CDT