Re: recommendation

From: Jeff Kish <jeff.kish_at_mro.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:51:55 -0400

<snip>
>> I am running XP Pro.
>> I have Oracle 10.1.0.2.0 installed.
>>
>> I had installed a new database (sid?) recently about a gig in table
>> space size.
>>
>> I noticed that now my machine just 'cranks' the disk drive for about
>> 15 minutes and it is so relentless that my pc is pretty unusable for
>> that initial startup period of time.

<snip>
>> OracleServicefirst Started Automatic
>> OracleServicesecond Started Automatic
>> OracleServicethird Started Automatic
>
>My guess is it's disk-swapping like crazy trying to free up enough
>memory, unless you've got a huge amount of RAM & small SGAs. Can't you
>just use one instance with three schemas instead? Three instances means
>three SGAs - add on three lots of DBConsole & you're asking for trouble.
Thanks.
Well, I am supporting three generations of product, and I wanted to keep things very separate. For example the schema names are the same for all three generations, and although I believe it is possible to use different ones, I'm not currently up to that configuration task (plus it makes going back after weeks/months easier if I don't have to try to recall the schema name on each one).

I guess I'm out of luck? Can you point me to how to shrink the SGS's possibly? (I don't know my leeway there), or some other tuning sort of thing?

I guess I could make one instance manual and only use it when I absolutely have to. Do I just have to stop the one service, say OracleServicethird?

I have a Gig of Ram and it is not a server, just a client pc.

Thanks again.
Jeff Kish Received on Fri Oct 14 2005 - 08:51:55 CDT