recommendation

From: Jeff Kish <jeff.kish_at_mro.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:26:27 -0400

Hi.
I am running XP Pro.
I have Oracle 10.1.0.2.0 installed.

I had installed a new database (sid?) recently about a gig in table space size.

I noticed that now my machine just 'cranks' the disk drive for about 15 minutes and it is so relentless that my pc is pretty unusable for that initial startup period of time.

I did a ctrl-alt-delete to look at task manager and saw that oracle and java seem to be near or at the very top of the cpu consumption, though I realize that is not necessarily indicative of what is chewing up the disk accesses.

My suspicion is that it is related to the Oracle installation.

Someone told me Windows is not very smart when it comes to startup order, and that I should consider starting Oracle manually after I boot the machine.

I'm wondering what else I could do, and I'm not 100% sure which service to set to manual start, or the best way to start it manually... command line or gui/services etc.

Thanks

BTW My services look like this right now - I'm not sure why there are three dbconsoles.. one for each instance/SID required?:

OracleCSService                           Started        Automatic
OracleDBConsolefirst                      Started        Automatic
OracleDBConsolesecond                     Started        Automatic
OracleDBConsolethird                      Started        Automatic
OracleDBConsoleorcl                                      Automatic
OracleJobSchedulerfirst                   Disabled
OracleJobSchedulersecond                  Disabled
OracleJobSchedulerthird                   Disabled
OracleOraDb10g_home1iSQL*Plus             Started        Automatic
OracleOraDb10g_home1SNMPPeerEncapsulator                  Manual
OracleOraDb10g_home1SNMPPeerMasterAgent                  Manual
OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener           Started        Automatic
OracleServicefirst                        Started        Automatic
OracleServicesecond                       Started        Automatic
OracleServicethird                        Started        Automatic
Jeff Kish Received on Fri Oct 14 2005 - 08:26:27 CDT