Help: A difficult request

From: joe bayer <joebayerii(nospam)_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:41:41 GMT

We are using Oracle 9206 in windows.

My manager wants me to encrypt credit card number in our database, that is not a problem, so I created two functions, encrpt_card_no and deencrypt_card_no, and encrypted data.

The problem is, our vendor software will issue command select card_no ..... from ....
Ask them to change the source code is very expensive.

Could we write a "select" trigger, using query-rewrite or something, which is doing this

if (program='vendor program')
change
"select card_no"

"select deencrypt_card_no(card_no,key)"

end if;

so that we can avoid a huge bill from the vendor.

Is this feasible in oracle?

Thanks very much for your help. Received on Fri Oct 14 2005 - 05:41:41 CDT