Re: Foreign Key Deletion problem

From: <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Oct 2005 15:30:51 -0700

Murray Sobol wrote:
> On 13 Oct 2005 10:55:10 -0700, jkstill_at_gmail.com wrote:
>

> >Think about it - do you really want to disable *all* constraints?
>
> Yes, but only for the duration of the TRUNCATE operation.
> Immediately after that, I would issue a SQL such as:
> alter table fin_invoice
> enable CONSTRAINT all
> if that syntax is available.

Ok, I will speak plainly.

Disabling all constraints would include primary key constraints, foreign key constraints and check constraints.

Disabling all constraints would not be a good thing.

> >> I was hoping to use SQL similar to this for a trigger:
> >> alter trigger <name of the trigger> disable/enable
> >> ;
> >> but have not found anything yet.
> >
> >Try disable all triggers:

Perhaps your question should have been phrased differently.

e.g. I was hoping for to use SQL similar to that which is used to disable all triggers.

Something like that.

At least, it didn't make much sense to me. :) Received on Thu Oct 13 2005 - 17:30:51 CDT