login.sql hangs

From: PHernandez <phph109_at_yahoo.es>
Date: 13 Oct 2005 15:17:05 -0700

EHllo!

I have honestly stolen the following code from Mr. Kyte

column global_name new_value gname
set termout off
select lower(user) || '@' || global_name as global_name from global_name;
set sqlprompt '&gname> '
set termout on

and have it in login.sql, which is nice. If the instance is idle it hangs (throws ORACLE NOT AVAILABLE without termout off) and one have to press enter go get by.

I can live with that.

However, I want my homebase computer to start Oracle at boot which can't be done if the login.sql is there. I got around it by unsetting SQLPATH in dbstart and dbshut, but not so nice. I also tried to wrap the select in an exception-block, but well- oracle is not available...

Someone knows how to get it right?

--ph Received on Thu Oct 13 2005 - 17:17:05 CDT