Re: Oracle Innobase Purchase Impacts MySQL.

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:32:34 -0700

Ed Prochak wrote:
> jkstill_at_gmail.com wrote:
>

>>DA Morgan wrote:
>>
>>>The fact that Larry destroyed MySQL as part of his keynote was enough
>>>to signal the change to me. I will paraphrase Larry's statement to the
>>>best of my ability.
>>>
>>>"Do you know how long it took for the first break-in and theft of data
>>>from MySQL after it was released as compared with Oracle"?
>>>
>>>MySQL  ... 45 minutes
>>>Oracle ... 15 years
>>
>>Hardly a fair comparison.
>>
>>Who was trying to break into databases 15 years ago?

> If you think breakins are relatively new, you are wrong. It has been
> happening since not long after networks started. Maybe early 70's?
> I know a few people (nowadays they are security consultants) that did
> this back then.
>
> SO I think someone targetting databases in 1990 is a good bet.
> There are even books about it now (breaking into databases, not about
> the history).
>
> So a very fair comparison. IMHO.
>
> Ed

I can tell you, for a fact, breakins were taking place back in the 80s. And that from personal experience. No doubt the first attempt to break into a database occurred within hours of it going live.

Heck there were people stealing other people's punch cards in the 60s.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org