Re: PLEASE HELP!!

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 04:03:27 GMT

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:28:23 -0700, Scott interested us by writing:

> I using ORacle 10g and VB.NET and I like to lock the rows of a table
> based on some selection criteria and update the rows, one by one.
> What is the recommended approach and any links or pseudo code is
> appreciated.

The recommended approach is to NOT lock rows unless there is a real good reason. Just 'cause that's the way to do it in RDBMS from vendor x, y or z is NOT a good reason.

If at all possible, try to use the database as a tool, not as a storage bucket. By that, I mean check out whether you can do your operation by sets instead of one row aat a time. Yes, I realize that it may require some additional thought but it is actually worth it.

Some recommended books:

  1. Thomas Kyte's books (all 3) Expert Oracle Database Architecture: 9i and 10g Programming Techniques and Solutions by Thomas Kyte (Paperback)
	Expert One on One Oracle by Thomas Kyte (or it's newer release
	Expert Oracle, Signature Edition (Expert One-On-One) by Thomas Kyte

	Effective Oracle by Design (Osborne ORACLE Press Series) by Thomas Kyte

2) Mastering Oracle SQL (oracle.oreilly.com) 3) Oracle PL/SQL by Connor McDonald

Also check out Oracle's sample code and Oracle By Example areas on http://otn.oracle.com

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com