Re: PLEASE HELP!!

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:38:42 -0700

"Scott" <sivaraman55_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1129174103.377063.229830_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> I using ORacle 10g and VB.NET and I like to lock the rows of a table
> based on some selection criteria and update the rows, one by one.
> What is the recommended approach and any links or pseudo code is
> appreciated.
> Please help.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Scotty.

Run to the nearest book store and buy Tom Kyte's new book " Expert Oracle Database Architecture: 9i and 10g Programming Techniques and Solutions". While you are there get his other books. You can also access the full documentation on line for free at otn.oracle.com. (You have to register, but it is free and they don't spam you.)

Updating rows one by one is slow by slow. If reasonably possible don't do that update them all at the same time.

Why do you want to lock the rows? What do you think locking the rows will accomplish? The reason I ask is that different databases handle different types of locking differently. What are you expecting and what is the business need?
Jim Received on Wed Oct 12 2005 - 22:38:42 CDT