Re: ownership of shadow server process

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 12 Oct 2005 06:30:11 -0700

Vsevolod Afanassiev wrote:
> Very simple question: what UNIX user owns shadow server
> process for direct (i.e. non-listener) connections?
> Oracle user or application user?
> Let's say we have Oracle software installed as user
> "oracle:dba". Background processes (pmon, smon, dbwr, etc) of database
> ORACLE_SID=PROD
> are running as UNIX user "oracle". We also have application
> running on the same server as UNIX user "app".
> When this application connects to Oracle directly (through Bequeath)
> and Oracle creates shadow server processes "oraclePROD"
> what user these processes will be running under? "oracle" or "app"?
> I thought it would be "oracle", but I am seeing different
> results on different UNIXes: on Tru64 it is "oracle" while
> on HP-UX it is "app". Any idea why?

On hpux direct sessions do run as "app" and this is the way it should be. This occurs whether the sessions are remote or local.

The setuid on the oracle executable ensures that this works ok.

Double check your permissions on Tru64 and see if they are correct on the oracle executable. Received on Wed Oct 12 2005 - 08:30:11 CDT