Re: How to install oracle 8.1.7 database on linux 9

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:22:57 GMT

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 01:14:53 -0700, AHM interested us by writing:

> I want to install oracle 8i database on linux 9 or 8.I am beginner
> regarding using Linux.
> Could some one send me the steps to perform the installation of oracle
> 8i on linux 9 or 8.

I am not familiar with 'Linux 8' or 'Linux 9'. Usually Linux is packaged as part of a distribution, such as Red Hat, Fedora, Debian, SuSE, Novell. A list of these can be found at http://www.linux.org/dist/index.html

The distribution information (such as SuSE Linux Professional 9.3, or Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4) is important as different distributions require different preparation, even if they are running the same Linux kernel.

So - what do you mean by 'Linux 8 or 9'? Where did you (are are you going to) get Linux?

If you have not obtained your Linux, I highly recommend getting one of the Red Hat Enterprise clones (from http://www.WhiteBoxLinux.org, http://www.taolinux.org or http://www.centos.org) and following the instructions found at http://www.puschitz.com for Red Hat Enterprise 3.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com