Re: Oracle Innobase Purchase Impacts MySQL.

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 21:06:02 -0400

DA Morgan wrote:

> Serge Rielau wrote:
>

>> DA Morgan wrote:

>>> Wouldn't be surprised. I'm waiting for Microsoft to release SQL Server
>>> 2005 and its blatant attempt to imitate Oracle's multiversion read
>>> consistency. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the law suits are already
>>> drawn up: They should be!
>>

>> Daniel,
>>
>> Patents are not to be paid to the one who first uses a feature in a
>> commercial system. Even IFF Oracle held any patents on the _concept_
>> of multiversion read consitency (which I highly doubt and which is
>> entirely different from a fight about patents in the
>> _actual_implementation_) these would very likely have expired by now.....
>> Also keep in mind that most major software vendors have cross
>> licencing agreements in place:
>> "You don't sue me, I don't sue you, and btw one of us pays the other
>> some sort of flat fee because they have more patents (mostly measured
>> in inch of paper)"
>>
>> Cheers
>> Serge
>

> Can you say SCO?

If I worked for Oracle I'd be quite offended right now.

Aside SCO vs the world is all about licensing and copyright, not patents.
Entirely different game unless you want to allege that SQL Server is based on Oracle (it's based on Sybase) or that Oracle source code is, how shall I put this... up for graps.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau