Re: Compressed tables

From: R. Schierbeek <bytelifeNospam_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 15:20:11 +0200

hey astalavista,

Oracle version 9.2 has a tiny bug in compressed tables: Once compressed if you try to do "alter table add column" you get a interesting error message:

   ORA-22856: cannot add columns to object tables

It you try to "uncompress" it and add a column you will get the same error. So now you're stuck with a 10 billion records compressed table which cannot be altered. ;-)

It's Bug 2421054 ,on metalink :
* In 9i errors are reported for ADD/DROP   but the text may be misleading, eg:
   ADD column fails with "ORA-22856: cannot add columns to object tables"    DROP column fails with "ORA-12996: cannot drop system-generated virtual column"

It is fixed in 10G though and - the fix is considered an enhancement - well, well.

Cheers, Roelof

"astalavista" <spam_at_nowhere.com> schreef in bericht > Hi,