Re: Compressed tables

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 11:01:06 -0700

astalavista wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a datawarehouse
> and we have some space problem.
> I thought about using compressed tables
> for rarely accessed tables ( archived data )
>
> Is it a reliable technology ?
> What are the limitations ?
> Any advice ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Oracle 9.2.0.5 on AIX 5.1

I am aware of no limitations or issues with compressed tables or compressed indexes in Oracle 9i though I would suggest you move to 9.2.0.6.

The most important thing though is to understand what Oracle means by compression. This is not .zip type compression. The compression in tables and indexes is the removal of duplicates. So if your information has very high cardinality you may gain little or nothing: Test.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org