Re: Oracle text

From: Michael O'Shea <mdo_remove_at_strychnine.co.uk>
Date: 8 Oct 2005 04:22:46 -0700

Monty, from the information you provide here is what you have probably done.

  1. You created a table containing your unstructured info for Oracle Text, eg. Adobe PDF docs, MS Word etc referenced as a blob, bfile ....
  2. You created an Oracle Text index. At this point the index is synchronised with the table content. At this point searches using the Oracle Text index will use the keywords extracted from your documents.
  3. You added (or removed, updated) rows of data in the table. The Oracle Text indexes HAVE NOT been updated synchronously. This is by design - this is not a bug. Oracle has however recorded which rows have been updated and will update the indexes at some later point that you can schedule. Before you delve further however, you might just wish to move on and get your testbed working.

An initial solution for you, replace whatever code you have for step 2 above with

CREATE INDEX idxWhatever

      ON tblWhatever(dbColumn)
       INDEXTYPE IS CTXSYS.CONTEXT
        PARAMETERS('SYNC(ON COMMIT)');

Such an approach may introduce a significant performance penalty into your system. Search on tahiti, Oracle Text, or repost if you need further help.

Regards

Mike O'Shea
http://www.strychnine.co.uk