Re: Database Buffer Cache Hit Ratio

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 01:40:17 GMT

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:51:09 -0700, Joel Garry interested us by writing:

> Well, this I can agree with. You must realize, though, that what you
> wrote in your first post in this thread can be read as the same thing
> that some others say: That users complaining is the _only_ reason.

Yes. I apologize for not being precise in the original post.

I therefore surmise that the level of verboseness in my responses must increase accordingly to compensate for the possibility of being misunderstood. (At the risk of putting people to sleep and/or verifying that my typing and spelling skills are less than exemplary. <g>)

Although I must admint I thought we had left the need for that level of precision in language within this newsgroup behind about a year ago.

> I still haven't seen anything besides some old stuff associated with
> myths that explains how to get to a decent tuning baseline or check if
> current tuning is sane. Should be novice level stuff, don't you think?

Also agree with you there. Perhaps we should start a new set of myths with the intent to lead the current crop of novices down the right path?

Preferrably without using ratios?

Such a myth might possibly need a statspack baseline (be the baseline good or bad) and subjective feedback about whether that baseline seems good or bad.

Or look at specific hardware and application combinations.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com