Re: Database Buffer Cache Hit Ratio

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 7 Oct 2005 13:51:09 -0700

Hans wrote:

>an unskilled DBA looking for legit reasons will almost
>invariably 'tune for the sake of tuning and have no idea when to quit'.
>It is far better, IMO, for a novice to start with a known problem than to
>go looking for a problem.

Well, this I can agree with. You must realize, though, that what you wrote in your first post in this thread can be read as the same thing that some others say: That users complaining is the _only_ reason.

I still haven't seen anything besides some old stuff associated with myths that explains how to get to a decent tuning baseline or check if current tuning is sane. Should be novice level stuff, don't you think?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.bleedingedge.com.au/blog/archives/2005/09/software_hijack.html