Re: Database Buffer Cache Hit Ratio

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 03:32:53 GMT

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 15:49:36 -0700, Joel Garry interested us by writing:

> I disagree with the premise that a database with no complaints is close
> to being tuned correctly and therefore shouldn't be tuned.

Again, I emphasize that user complaint is only one of the legit reasons for tuning. There are other reasons as well.

Flip side - there is no implication in my statement that lack of complaints indicates a correctly tuned DB. You still misread my premise, which is: an unskilled DBA looking for legit reasons will almost invariably 'tune for the sake of tuning and have no idea when to quit'. It is far better, IMO, for a novice to start with a known problem than to go looking for a problem.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com