Re: Resources for estimating hardware requirements

From: <BigBoote66_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Oct 2005 09:24:46 -0700

Thanks for the info Billy. Can I ask you, why would you recommend RAC over a single server? Just for growth purposes? Or is it for availability reasons?

The reason I'm concerned is that this product will be something of an embedded system - the real focus of the client is the software doing the data aquisition, and that the database can respond predictably to queries (to give you an example of their low expectations, their current version of this product uses a poorly tuned/designed schema on MS SQL Server takes 30 minutes to execute queries that anyone in this forum could make run in seconds with only a few minutes of analysis). Whether they occasionally lose the data they're acquiring doesn't seem to be a big deal to them.

They don't seem particularly concerned about the possibility of data loss - I believe they would prefer a simple-to-administer system over one that was high availability (again, their existing client software is already set up to hand the inevitable losses of service they suffer with their current database), and their plan regarding disaster recovery is "oh well, just reinstall the database & we'll just forget about the data we lost". Of course, that's what they say now - it doesn't mean that when they do suffer that catastrophe that they won't be freaking out because they don't have a recovery process in place.

-Steve Received on Thu Oct 06 2005 - 11:24:46 CDT