RE: can you join table from oracle and from SQL server?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 14:30:56 GMT

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 05:51:58 -0400, Cornel.Bicutzi.1u interested us by writing:

> Hello,
>
> I know that we can join SQL Server and Oracle via link server concept
> in SQL Server.

Assuming you are on a supported version of Oracle ...

Oracle has two related products: Heterogeneous Services (documented in the Heterogeneous Services document at http://docs.oracle.com for your version of the database); and Transparent Gateway.

For Oracle9i, the detail of 'what is included free and what you pay for extra' is in the Appendix of the New Features manual. For 10g it's in the Licensing manual. In both you will find that Heterogeneous Services are free.

But the use ODBC drivers to create the link. A more robust variant is to use the Transparent Gateway, which is extra cost.

Of course, as you indicated, you could always create your own. Publish it as open source, assume the development and maintenance cost, and feel very good abouit it. Much, much easier than reading the manuals and understanding what is available. <g>

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com