Re: can you join table from oracle and from SQL server?

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Oct 2005 05:47:43 -0700

ji wrote:
> Thanks,
> how much does it costs?
>
> Instead of spending a lot of money, I'd rather developed this
> with some tool.
>
> Is it difficult to develop this in java?
>
> Probably I can search in each database( throught jdbc ), get both results in
> the vector and construct
> search result with primary key( isbn for this case). Just an idea, I am
> relatively new to database ^^;
>
> it works, no?
>
> J.J

Why is it Java people keep wanting to re-invent the wheel? The first thing you need to learn about databases is that they are not just a fancy file system for storing data. Most, especially Oracle, provide a lot of built in functions and features that programmers, especially (it seems) Java programmers, remain blissfully ignorant of. With heterogeneuos services you simply define a database link within your Oracle database, pointing to the non-Oracle database. Then a synonym in your Oracle database pointing to a table in the remote database make the remote tabel appear that it is part of the local database. Oracle takes care of the communications, the two-phase commit, etc. Your app never knows that certain tables live somewhere else.

Start your reading here:
http://www.oracle.com/gateways/gateway_bundles/faq.html

If you are concerned about cost, note the comments on "generic connectivity". Received on Thu Oct 06 2005 - 07:47:43 CDT