Re: OCCI Connection Pool on Oracle RAC

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 22:08:05 -0700

Peter Sylvester wrote:
> I was not thinking load balancing, just failover in case of server crash
> or unavailability (network down, etc). Certainly the server is not
> going to assist much in this scenario. I don't think you need to run RAC
> to get this to work (unless you really need to connect to the same
> database). It seems that much of this is done through tnsnames.ora
> configuration, which suggests a client side implementation.
>
> --Peter

You are correct about TAF as documented here: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14212/advcfg.htm#sthref1301 Here is the text:

"Transparent Application Failover (TAF) is a client-side feature that allows for clients to reconnect to surviving databases in the event of a failure of a database instance. Notifications are used by the server to trigger TAF callbacks on the client-side.

TAF is configured using either client-side specified TNS connect string or using server-side service attributes. However, if both methods are used to configure TAF, the server-side service attributes will supersede the client-side settings. The server-side service attributes are the preferred way to set up TAF.

Where it indicates "server-side service attributes" supersede client-side settings. So parts of it are also on the server.

Hope that clarifies original question which I unfortunately can no longer see on my news server.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org