Re: opposite of oracle decode

From: Doug <dougburns_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Oct 2005 15:33:55 -0700

Adam Sandler wrote:
> My question is what if I want to write to the DB? If the user is using
> a GUI to interface with the DB and they see open, review, or closed in
> the GUI's list of options, I need to trnaslate open, review, or closed
> into 1, 2, or 3 to get it into the DB.

Well, if you use SELECT DECODE(your_column, 1, 'OPEN', 2, 'REVIEW', 3, 'CLOSED') to query the data, why not just use UPDATE SET your_column = DECODE(your_value, 'OPEN', 1, 'REVIEW', 2, 'CLOSED', 3)?

If you're working with DECODE a bit, you might find this useful - http://doug.burns.tripod.com/decode.html

Cheers,

--
Doug Burns - Oracle DBA