opposite of oracle decode

From: Adam Sandler <corn29_at_excite.com>
Date: 5 Oct 2005 15:07:58 -0700

Hello,

New to working with Oracle here and I cannot find the answer to my question. I have a table that stores a char e.g., 1, 2, or 3. Those chars reflect that statuses of reports. 1 = open, 2 = review, 3 = closed. When querying I can use decode so the user sees open, review, or closed instead of the less meaningful 1, 2, or 3.

My question is what if I want to write to the DB? If the user is using a GUI to interface with the DB and they see open, review, or closed in the GUI's list of options, I need to trnaslate open, review, or closed into 1, 2, or 3 to get it into the DB.

Is there an encode function? Searching on that didn't help... is there something the opposite of "decode"?

P.S. This isn't my DB desgin. It is what I was given to work with.

Thanks! Received on Wed Oct 05 2005 - 17:07:58 CDT